Monday, October 18, 2010

Friday Night Cinema - on Monday

It's that time of the week again when I impress everyone with all of the movies we have watched.

1. Un Prophete (The Prophet) - 2009 french film that is incredible. It's about Malik, a 18 yr old boy sentenced to 6 years in prison. He has to make his way and ends up being involved with many interesting characters. The movie is captivating because even though he is in prison, he learns a lot and even gets to do things he never thought possible. I'm a HUGE shawshank fan, and though nothing holds a candle to that film, this movie holds its own ground. I believe it was nominated for Best foreign Film during the Oscars last year.

2. Couples Retreat - RomCom starring who else but Vince Vaughn. He and his gaggle of friends embark on couples counseling in Bali for the week. Laughter ensues? I don't know...my expectations were low low low for this film so it was a kind surprise when I somewhat watched the entire film without completely gauging my eyes out. It's one of those flicks where you can do a load of wash and organizing the tots toys with out missing anything integral.

3. Social Network - D and I actually went to the movies last week at the Alamo Drafthouse. We love that place! Unless you've been hiding under a rock the past 4 years or so, you know what Facebook is and how your grandmother keeps calling you, begging for you to show her how to get on "The Facebook". Anyways this film goes biopic to see the inception of it and all of the fallout that comes with becoming a billionaire by the age of 26. The film was good, no questions about that. Sorkin never disappoints and keeps you interested with interesting dialogue and characters.

4. A Perfect Getaway - 2009 film starring Milla Jovovich (5th Element & Dazed & Confused) and Steve Zahn as a couple on their honeymoon in Hawaii. There is a grotesque murder on the island as they trek around in the trails of the beautiful oasis. Ummm, it was a good film. During the climax I began to get confused about everything and magically, lost my interest in the film. Well not really lost my interest, but moreso I was watching it alone and had no one to explain what was going on. Some of the character development was meh. Zahn and Jovovich have given stellar performances in the past, so I'm not sure why they didn't bring their A games to the screen with this one. They did come off as an unlikely married couple -- I mean c'mon, she's a former model!

That's all I got for now....Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment